Friday, May 18, 2012

Cardinal Cormac Murphy O’Connor on the Eternal State of Atheists

I previously reported some thoughts by Cardinal George Pell. Pell had suggested that there will be those who were atheists in this life who will be in heaven.

Cardinal O'Connor has something similar to say:
Q: And hell?

A: We're not bound to believe that anybody’s there, let's face it. ...

Q: It is sometimes said that there will be a separate heaven for Bavarians because they would not be in a state of eternal happiness if they had to share heaven with the Prussians. Will Catholics and Protestants be together in heaven?

A: I hope they won't be separate. I think that the divisions manifest here on earth will be reconciled in some mysterious way in heaven. I'm not thinking just of Catholics and Protestants, but people of other faiths and people of no faith. We are all children of God.

Q: So we shouldn't be surprised if we were to meet in heaven someone who was a Muslim or an atheist on earth?

A: I hope I will be surprised in heaven... I think I will be.
(source - thanks to Steve Hays)

Neither Cardinal Pell nor Cardinal Cormac Murphy O’Connor denies that hell is real, but both seem to think that it might be empty.

-TurretinFan

2 comments:

don sands said...

There are 13 year olds who have more understanding of the truth than this "so-called" Cardinal. It is sad. And yet the theologians of Jesus' day wanted to dismiss Him as not knowing what the truth was as well.

Coram Deo said...

Their hell is too small, and their heaven too large.